Thursday, October 27, 2011

10/27/2011 Baring it all

85 days post injury, 52 days since last attempt to run

The runners' diet has finally caught up with me. To me, runners' diet means try to eat healthy, but indulge in junk food and beer every chance I get. When I used to run 40 miles a week, I burned a minimum of 4,000 extra calories a week. I could eat an entire pizza and not have to deal with the consequences. Now, I am intaking an extra 4,000 calories a week, which translates into 1 lb a week. Although I try to not use the scale as a measure of weight loss. Nevertheless, this is what I am dealing with:

OK, I kind of cheated. Here is a less flattering shot:


I know what you're thinking, but body image is relative. I looked better 3 months ago...

Today I made the resolve to abandon the runners' diet. No more indulging, except for good tasting beer.

I am now in my second week of hamstring eccentric strengthening exercises. Eccentric means the muscle is being worked when it is lengthened, vs concentric which is when the muscle is worked while it shortens. Here is an example: the bicep curl. When you lift the weight, bend your elbow and bring the weight towards your body, the muscle is shortening and thus is a concentric exercise. When you lower the weight and straighten your elbow, that is eccentric exercise.

Although I was turned off on my first PT visit, I have really started to like my PT. She wants me to get back to running asap, but her main concern is for me to return when my body is ready so that I can run for 20+ more years. Sensing my impatience several weeks into therapy, she sat me down and had a pep talk with me. She told me that if I wanted to run now, go for it but I wouldn't be able to run past the age of 40. If I fully rehabilitate before running again, I will be able to run for many, many years. She said, "It's your choice". I chose the latter. At that moment we sort of became a team, both working towards a common goal.

I started aerobic activity last Thursday. 20 min on the elliptical, alternating days and alternating with the bike. I completed 23 minutes on the elliptical last night. My right hamstring is super sore. Much to my pleasure, the soreness is not in the area of the injury. However, I am again able to elicit the deep ass pain that disappeared after the cortisone shot but it has lessened. I am not worried, these things take a long, long time to heal. I don't expect a miraculous recovery.

I am not putting a timeline on my return to running. I will let pain be my guide (and listen to it this time).

After eating lemon quinoa with chick peas and pesto all week for lunch, I just realized that I forgot to eat dinner. Where did this sudden optimism come from, you ask: It's a Golden Monkey night.

1 comment: